Saturday, January 7, 2012

Went to the Santa Rosa Plataeus yesterday our last day of Christmas break if you don't count the weekend. Brad was working so missed out on our adventure and picnic, but all six kids went. I was getting out of the shower when Dav came home from 3 hours of bball practice, and I heard his 5 year old brother telling him we were going. His response, "I am not going dude." Brody's response, "She is going to make you." Davin's response, "Dude I said I'm not going my legs already ache." Brody's response, "Your going cuz we're all having a picnic." By the time I got downstairs to tell Davin it would mean a lot to this old mom if all of her children could spend just 2 hours together he was all for it. Thanks Brody for laying the ground work :) and for being so confident and strong to be a match for that big old teenage brother of yours! It was beautiful and warm and everyone was playful and pleasant. The key is short activities with reasonable expectations. In fact expectations are the key to most of our happiness or unhappiness. I had a college professor spend two lectures on this topic, and at the time I didn't fully comprehend the message. Mostly I just thought it was strange that in an English class I was being taught about expectations. I get it now for sure. I will not expect my entire family to "joyfully" work together on Saturday morning or anytime for that matter. We work to get it done and I don't care about the joy part and don't expect it. I don't expect an amazing hot date with my hubby every week, so when I get one like last night it is delightful. I do expect the kids to do their best at whatever they do, I expect respectful interaction even when there is an "issue", I expect time, which is precious, to be balanced so that this family gets some of every one's! So two hours together in nature with all my peeps was just great. Thanks guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment